The Christmas season is officially upon us, which means that it’s time for social gatherings and festivities galore.
Perhaps one of the busiest periods of year, you’ve likely been booked up for months in advance with people trying to see you, from your old neighbours who have just moved back from Australia to your Great Aunt Tessie.
However, there’s one event on the calendar that you’re particularly looking forward to. Step forward, the Christmas party.
Whether this is hosted by one of your best friends, a family member or your workplace, it’s kind of a big deal, which means that you kind of need the perfect outfit. Right?
Not to worry—we’ve got you covered.
Read on to discover the best AW18 trends that are guaranteed to wow at your Christmas party.
Sparkle and Shine
Is it even Christmas if all things glamorous aren’t fashionable to wear?
Sure enough, like seasons past, sparkle and shimmer is a key trend for autumn/winter 2018.
From majestic metallic dresses to sequin blouses and PVC leggings, there was an abundance of reflective looks sent down the runways by designers such as Balmain, Marques Almeida and Givenchy.
And guess what? Any of these looks are perfect for your Christmas party. Why? Well, because they’re based on one principle: the glitzier, the better!
- Feel like nodding to the trend without fully committing? Opt for an outfit where you can contain the twinkle to one piece, like our River Island Sleeveless Playsuit that features sequins on the shorts.
- Alternatively, if you want to embrace your inner maximalist, mix and match different glistening fabrics to create an eclectic texture-clashing combination. For instance, we suggest teaming this Mango Pleated Mini Skirt with a simple black cami top, heeled sandals and tons of attitude. Shine on!
Not for the faint-hearted, AW18 has also brought the fashion world animal print in excess.
Whether it’s in the form of zebra, leopard or snake print, this pattern is so diverse that you can take from work to play in a fashion heartbeat. As a result, it’s an ideal outfit choice for your Christmas party.
Why not take inspiration from AW18 shows by designers such as Givenchy, Halpern and Victoria Beckham and choose a prominent key piece? You can then keep the rest of your aesthetic minimal to avoid looking too overpowering.
- For example, tailoring is all the rage this season, therefore, you can dress up your blue jeans, nice neutral top and block heels ensemble with this ZARA Cream Animal Print Blazer to promote chic elegance.
- Searching for something more appropriate for dancing the night away? Look no further! Allow your legs (and your inner animal) to roam free with this Jane Norman Leopard Print Dress. Simply add black heeled boots and a boxy clutch to stand out for all the right reasons.
Either way, it’s undeniably cool to take a walk on the wild side at the moment.
It’s the decade that just keeps on giving in the style-sphere. Whether it was through cropped flared jumpsuits or floor-length maxi dresses, 1970s-inspired shapes and motifs were rife across the AW18 catwalks of Roksanda, Miu Miu and De Vincenzo.
Ideal for those Christmas parties that warrant more of a laid-back vibe, you can radiate casual retro cool through your outfit and then dress up your look using bold accessories.
- For instance, add a much-needed splash of colour to the autumn/winter season through our Et Vous Vibrant Print Halter Neck paired with trousers that have a 70s bootcut silhouette.
- Prefer a kitsch print? These ASOS Navy and White Polka Dot Trousers are guaranteed to turn some heads. Team them with a loose-fitting blouse that has bell sleeves, big hooped earrings and platform boots to channel major bohemian vibes.
Either way, make sure that you’re rocking plenty of colour, fun prints and exaggerated lines—and you won’t go far wrong with this trend. Groovy, baby.